Group of Individuals and/or Firms are not eligible for this consultancy (only at an individual level)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The African Centre for Parliamentary Affairs (ACEPA) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the effectiveness of elected representative assemblies at all levels of governance in Africa and beyond. The Centre seeks a consultant – Parliamentary Liaison and Project Advisor – Kenya – Kenya for the Global Affairs Canada (GAC) funded project “Inclusive Legislatures for Gender-Responsive Policies”. The project is being implemented by the Parliamentary Centre in partnership with ACEPA.
The Parliamentary Liaison and Project Advisor will coordinate the country-level programming of the Inclusive Legislatures for Gender Responsive Policies Project for successful implementation. The Parliamentary Liaison and Project Advisor will directly contribute to the project’s success by coordinating and delivering technical, management, financial, and administrative assistance to the project. The Parliamentary Liaison and Project Advisor will be responsible for building relationships with relevant project stakeholders including parliamentarians and partner organizations, to ensure effective and efficient project management especially in the implementation of project activity plans as well as results reporting.
Parliamentary Liaison Project Coordinator will, specifically
- Liaise with project stakeholders especially the leadership, members of parliament, the clerk and staff of Kenya’s Parliament to promote strong partnership for successful implementation of the project;
- Interact with GAC country’s Head-of-Aid (HOA), and other stakeholders and agencies including CSOs as required to strengthen relationships for successful implementation of the project in close collaboration with the National Parliamentary Advisor;
- Contribute to/lead the development of annual work plans for project implementation in Kenya;
- Coordinate and lead timely implementation of project activities;
- Superintend over the coordination of logistics for project implementation in close collaboration with other team members.;
- Provide the needed support to the project team and experts (Ottawa and Africa), and stakeholders to ensure results are attained;
- Lead in the preparation of timely narrative reports and other related reports to the GAC and other identified stakeholders in conjunction with other team members and in close collaboration with the National Parliamentary Advisor;
- Work closely with the Finance team (Africa and Ottawa) and provide the needed input for financial management of project, including budget preparation, cash-flow management and reporting; in line with current contribution agreement;
- Liaise with the finance team to ensure activities are carried out within budget and variances well justified;
- In collaboration with other project team members in Africa and in Ottawa ensure regular monitoring and evaluation of project activities, tracking lessons that can feedback into upcoming project activities and documenting them to promote knowledge sharing;
- In collaboration with the National Parliamentary Advisor work closely with the relevant designated contact officers in Parliament to promote effective communication;
- Contribute to overall project communication and messaging including providing updates on project activities on website, twitter and other related communication media.
On Gender Equality:
- Ensure that gender equality outcomes are formulated to respond to gender issues in the specific context of the project;
- Regularly seek advice from and involve the project gender equality advisor(s) in project meetings, discussions, communications, decision-making, monitoring and tracking lessons and reporting;
- With the gender equality advisor(s), ensure gender sensitivity in the coordination of project activities;
- Build systematic links between feedback and corrective action to adjust how activities are implemented;
- Work closely with key implementation partners to ensure that women’s rights and gender equality issues are showcased in knowledge sharing activities and are visible;
- Integrate the key findings of the gender-based analysis in the outcomes of the project;
- Ensure the collection and use of sex-age disaggregated and gender-sensitive data;
- Ensure that participation of women and men in projects is monitored;
- Ensure significant involvement of women and girls, especially in decision-making, throughout the life cycle of the project;
- Collaborate with women’s organizations that advance women’s rights;
- Ensure gender equality outcomes are well captured in project reports.
Qualifications, Skills/ Experience:
- Post graduate degree in a discipline related to any of the following disciplines: political science, public administration/public management, international relations, international development, or any other degree related to governance;
- Minimum 5-years professional experience in parliamentary development work, preferably in Africa on governance and/or development issues;
- Parliamentary development field-work experience an asset;
- Experience in project implementation, financial management of projects as well as working with civil society organizations;
- Knowledge of parliamentary systems and legislative institutions in general and more specifically in Africa;
- Knowledge of Results-Based Management (RBM);
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and balance multiple project activities;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Proficiency in MS software applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point);
- Professional proficiency in English (oral, reading, writing).
Contract Terms: Competitive and attractive; and commensurate with experience.
Expected Start Date: IMMEDIATE (subject to contract start date).
How to Apply
If you are interested and confident you can deliver the scope of work and can demonstrate that you meet the required competencies detailed in the Terms of Reference, please submit a CV outlining your relevant skills and experience and a cover letter via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the email should be the “Parliamentary Liaison and Project Advisor – Kenya”. Only those applicants selected for the next step will be contacted.
Application Deadline: The process will be ongoing until a suitable applicant is selected.