Location: Accra, Ghana
Term: Full Time
Reports to: Executive Director
The African Centre for Parliamentary Affairs (ACEPA) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the effectiveness of elected representative assemblies at all levels of governance in Africa and beyond. ACEPA is seeking a Research Officer to join its team.
The Research Officer will be responsible for conducting research, producing quality write-ups and publishable work for ACEPA and must possess excellent writing skills.
The Research Officer will specifically:
• Conduct research on parliamentary issues on an ongoing basis;
• Monitor the Parliament of Ghana and other parliaments on the continent where
ACEPA has an interest and document topical issues;
• Lead in the preparation and/or contribute to reports, briefs, newsletters presentations and other knowledge products;
• Provide support to the program leads and the MEL Officer with tasks related to the collection of M&E data;
• Participate fully in decisions and planning by the ACEPA team via regular staff and project meetings, and when required, in other committee meetings;
• Assist in business development efforts of ACEPA;
• Contribute to the implementation of ongoing projects at ACEPA as required; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and skills required
The Research Officer should have knowledge of parliamentary systems in general, an understanding of development issues related to governance and excellent research and writing skills.
The ideal candidate should have:
• A Master’s degree from a recognized university in a discipline related to any of the following disciplines: political science, public administration/public management, international relations, international development, political economy, or any other science related to governance;
• Minimum 2 years professional experience working in a structured service delivery organization; local/international experience in the governance sector an asset;
• Ability to carry out independent research, collect and analyze multiple types of data across a variety of formats and present research reports;
• Excellent editing skills;
• Sensitivity to the importance of gender equity and related issues;
• Ability to work both independently as well as in a multi-disciplinary team environment;
• Ability to work under tight deadlines, resource limitations and balance multiple demands;
• Demonstrated capacity to assist several managers without compromising program quality;
• Excellent communication and organizational skills;
• Excellent English language skills;
• Understanding or experience in Parliamentary work an asset;
• Fluency in written and spoken French is an asset;
• Proficiency in MS software applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) and familiarity with virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom, Teams etc. as well as Internet use.
Contract Terms/Salary: Competitive and attractive
How to Apply
Interested persons should send their CV via email to